In this article you will learn how to create new Google Alerts.
Google Alerts is a powerful tool that allows you to create an "alert" based on a topic(s), keyword(s), or person(s) you specify. When content containing your alert becomes available on the internet you will receive an email notification alerting you with the new content.
You will need:
- An active email account.
- A list of keywords, topics, or people you want to be notified about.
- Visit the Google Alerts homepage: https://www.google.com/alerts
- Type a keyword, topic, or person you want to be notified about (in this example we are using Supreme Court).
- Note, as you are creating your alert, Google will generate a preview of the alert at the bottom of the page.
- Click the "Show options" to customize your alert with the following options:
How often? How often do you want notifications? As it happens, daily, or weekly? Sources? What sources do you want notifications from? News, Blogs, Web, Video etc.? Language? What languages do you want notifications from? Region? What regions do you want notifications from? How many? Do you want all results or only the highest ranked?
- Enter the email address that you want to receive notifications at.
- Once all fields are complete click "Create Alert".
*Note when setting up your first alert, you will need to verify your email account.