If you are launching your own site, you can set up a domain that you have already registered through the Site Settings > Domain Name tab. This article explains how set up a domain you have already purchased.
You can also search for and register a domain using LexBlog's tools.
The steps in the domain setup process can take anywhere from a few minutes to 72 hours. We recommend completing the name server updates at least 3 days prior to launching your site.
You should not click the Launch button in Site Settings > Domain Name before completing all the steps in the review checklist.
Before you start
- You'll need a user account with an Administrator role or higher.
- You'll need the login for your domain registrar account.
- Find the instructions for updating your domain's name servers. You may find them in our list for the most common registrars.
Update the name servers
- Under Domain Registration, select I have already found and registered a domain.
- Enter your domain in the Domain Name field, then click Add Domain. It can take up to an hour to add your domain to our name servers. You can refresh the page or continue with the Getting Started guide.
- After successfully adding your domain, the Domain Registration menu will display two name servers in this format:
- Log in to your registrar, delete any name servers there, and add the two new name servers from the Domain Registration menu. Our name server update article links to instructions for several common domain registrars.
- It can take up to 24 hours to change the name servers. You can refresh the page or continue with the Getting Started guide.
Point the domain
- Under Domain Pointing, click the Point button.
- Depending on your plan, you may need to submit your billing information on the LexBlog > Billing page.
- It can take up to 24 hours to point the domain and provision an SSL certificate for your site. You can refresh the page or continue with the Getting Started guide.
Launch your site
You should not click the Launch button before completing all the steps in the review checklist.
- Under Launch, click Launch. You will be logged out of your site and returned to the homepage at your registered domain.
- To log in, go to https://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin/.